Short Hills Provincial Park will be closed to the public to honour treaty rights with a First Nation Deer Harvest.
The Haudenosaunee Confederacy has notified the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks that it wishes to exercise its right to harvest deer in Short Hills Provincial Park. The park will be closed on the following dates and the morning after for maintenance:
- Wednesday, October 13 and the morning of Thursday, October 14,
- Wednesday, October 27 and the morning of Thursday, October 28,
- Tuesday, November 9 and the morning of Wednesday, November 10,
- Saturday, November 20 and the morning of Sunday, November 21,
- Wednesday, December 1 and the morning of Thursday, December 2,
- Saturday, December 11 and the morning of Sunday, December 12.
Ontario recognizes the rights of this local First Nation to conduct a deer harvest in the park. The ministry also recognizes and seeks to balance the interests of the different users of the park and local community. Working with the ministry, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy has agreed to only carry out its harvest during outlined times and within the park boundary.